Last week, I felt like Alex, the title character in the children’s book “Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”, except that mine actually lasted more than a 24-hour cycle – or at least it seemed that way. 

I would move to Australia, but you can’t get there by train, so that’s out. 

Things just sort of stacked up on me and snowballed. 

First, there was this girl. As with all previous episodes of my life that begin with that phrase, this one ended up with me being shot down and crashing and burning — again. I’ve lost count as to how many times it has happened since I began to take notice of good lookin’ girls when I was a teenager. As Forest Gump would say, “That’s all I’ve got to say about that.” It still doesn’t feel good. 

Then, there was an appointment with the urologist. That might be an indication your week is about to go straight, due south. Appointment was routine and preventative mainly, but not always pleasant. Thankfully, my results were normal. 

A Monday doctor’s appointment on deadline day means the work hours will be long. 

The school board met for almost three hours so I was late getting back to the office for proofing and filing last minute stories. 

I clocked out at about midnight and headed home in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. 

Less than two miles from home, a yearling deer bounded out of the woods on Michael Lake Road just above Lake Chapel Church.

The impact was square on the driver’s side door, causing the side airbags to deploy.  Thankfully, the glass in the window did not shatter, but the rest of  it was smashed along with the front quarter panel. I am thankful to the Lord I was unharmed. I am not hurt other than some soreness in the shoulder and waistband where the safety belt did its job and some scratches on my hands where the airbags dinged me. 

Since the driver’s side door was jammed and inoperable, I had to climb over the center console and get out on the passenger side. I’m not as young as I used to be and discovered this is not fun or easy.  

To close out the 24 hours, I had some skin surgery on my neck later Tuesday afternoon. It too, is routine, removing skin tags that are irritated by my collar. 

It got to the point, where I was looking to wrap myself in bubble wrap or simply go inside, cover my head and not come out until, say, the 4th of July. 

But, I got up and moved on. 

I decided to look on the bright side. 

• There is a brown-haired, petite cutie out there for me somewhere. Otherwise, I’ve got my bandages to keep me warm. 

• I am thankful for the advances in modern medicine that — even as unpleasant as the tests are — can help us to be well. My dad and my uncle have had procedures that were not available 30 years ago when my grandfather was diagnosed with the same disease. I also have to be on the lookout for melanoma as my Mama has had a scare with it. Thankfully, the skin tags were nothing like that. 

• It looks as though I will be getting a new car for Christmas. I can’t tell you how much I dislike the car buying experience, but I was needing to upgrade my wheels anyway, so here I am. I’ll be doing that in coming weeks. 

At some point, it has to get better. You get to the place where you can’t fall off the floor. 

And besides, the best antidote to a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, starts with the promise of a brand new day just like this one. 

Lord, I hope it is a good one.

• Jason Deal is a staff writer for The Blackshear Times. Reach him at