Christmas Day wasn’t calm and bright for everyone in Pierce County.
Pierce County Volunteer Fire Dept. was dispatched to a structure fire in Bristol just before 4 p.m. last Wednesday at the home of Jeff Crane on Carnes Road.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find a utility pole barn shed near the house fully engulfed, but were able to contain the blaze to the utility shop where it orginated with no damage to the home.
“Fire units went into offensive suppression mode to protect the residence from exposure damage,” says Fire Chief Santo Niño. “The fire was confined to the utility shop with no damage to the residence.”
“The home occupant and owner are blessed to sustained no damage to the home due to the quick response of our community firefighters,” Niño adds.
The fire was under control by 4:30 p.m. at which time firefighters began overhaul, removing metal roofing and other structural materials to extinguish hotspots. Units cleared the scene by 5:52 p.m. Christmas evening.
The fire orginated in the shed, but an exact source could not be determined due to the extent of damage, Niño says.
Two vehicles, a golf cart, lawn equipment and an assortment of tools were lost in the blaze. Crane estimates the loss at approximately $30,000.
“I’m more bummed about my truck and my tools than anything. I’ve been in construction for about 45 years and every tool I had got burned up,” Crane says. “It’ll take time, but we’ll get it back together.”
Fire stations dispatched to the scene include Northside, Walkerville, and Bearville. The resources on scene consisted of seven fire apparatuses and 15 fire personnel.
Christmas Day fires are more common than one might think.
“Out of the 12 years I’ve been doing this, I’ve had seven structures (fires) on Christmas. One Christmas, I worked three structures,” Niño says. “People leave and go out of town and something happens – faulty wiring or equipment failure, something like that.”